That carefree time of picnics, pools,and outdoor festivals—will be a lot more fun if your feet aren’t hurting!
Here are 10 tips for keeping your feet problem free this summer:
- Dont walk barefoot! Your feet can suffer cuts and foreign bodies that can easily become infected.
- Clean and disinfect spider and ant bites—they can quickly become infected.
- Wear socks! Bare feet inside of shoes are prime targets for athlete’s foot and other fungal infections, blisters and calluses. Keep feet dry by changing socks during the day when necessary.
- Don’t “pop” blisters—they are a natural barrier to infection.
- Ignore fashion! When buying sandals, make sure they offer support for the arch and cushioning for the heel.
- Wear larger shoes to accommodate swelling feet, especially if you work outside.
- Don’t forget sunscreen – your feet need it, too!
- If it hurts, don’t use it! Injuries to the foot and ankle should not be ignored. Anything that is still painful after 3 days of rest should be evaluated by a doctor.
- Warm up and stretch before exercising, and cool down and stretch afterwards. Those few additional minutes will go a long way toward preventing injuries to your Achilles tendon and plantar fascia.
- Keep well-hydrated to avoid leg cramps and muscle spasms.